Friday 30 October 2015

NVMe (focus on M.2) the latest paradigm shift

I heard about this a few months back from my adviser and only just yesterday Samsung released the NVMe pro 950 M.2 SSD. A 256 and 512G version. This emerging tech has dramatic effects for the industry. Others don't appear to have realized or are even aware of the implications of NVMe (based on lack of comments from the posts I follow and people I've spoken with.) but then again I haven't checked everywhere.

This is why I've got myself a motherboard with 2 such M.2 Slots to utilize this (Asrock X99 extreme 11), probably for use as L2ARC... I'll just hold off a bit longer as prices will most certainly drop. (The 512G version is about £300)

What will it cause?

The next generation of all future laptops, smart phones and other devices will integrate this in. (infact iphone 6S already has this) this allows all next gen hardware to probably be 10x faster than existing tech (Based on the fact that most operations machines are waiting on is storage I/Os.) Being as this architecture is so small it will replace more and more existing SSD's such as the 2.5" Sata based ones as it grows more commonplace. (why would you not want something much faster and power efficient?) because it is very efficient from wattage point of view running costs on larger scales will also be less, space required is much less to as additional layers are added to the silicon as opposed to the older plane/flat methods. Just compare the sizes of your typical 3.5", 2.5"storage devices to something the size of a large chewing gum stick, which at some point will be TBs in size.

What is the future?

I am aware that more production facilities are in the making to produce this on a larger scale with additional layers. Next year Samsung will almost certainly release a 1TB model with faster speeds. Not to mention other vendors will be in direct competition. For starters Laptops not using this will be phased out. My question is what is the max amount of layers that can be added?


No comments:

Post a Comment